1. Make your blog ready to read on mobile devices
Recent studies show that mobile traffic makes up a large portion of online traffic. It ain't much surprise since people nowadays get addicted with their mobile phones/tablets. So it's really important to make your blog mobile-friendly because it generates a great traffic to your blog. If you have a self-hosted Wordpress blog, WPTouch seems to be a popularly used plugin. For those who use Blogger platform like me, it is easy to enable the Mobile Templates. It now becomes a built-in feature so it just requires a few clicks to make things done!
- At your Blogger account, go to Template. Then you will see the Mobile option, click on the Setting icon
- A pop-up window appears. Choose "Yes. Show mobile template on mobile devices
- You can also choose the mobile template and preview it. As seen in the photo, I chose Custom. And, don't forget to save.
- It's good to grab your phone and check how it actually looks like on a mobile device
2. No word verification, please!
You may be for or against word verification. Personally I'd prefer not to have any obstacles for readers to leave comments. Turn it off encourages readers to communicate with your blogs easily. I actually feel time-consuming when trying to figure out the right letters and number to type into the verification box. It might a stressing process for certain people, including me. You won't know there is word verification until you put submit. So the case is you might end up writing a super long comment but then there is some technical problem with the word verification, you finally cannot submit. And you feel pissed for wasting time for nothing. So please don't make your readers annoyed by that. If you want to take control over received comments (in case you want to get rid of spams), I would suggest comment moderation in which you can easily delete spams and approve comments you want.
- At Blogger account, go to Settings and then choose Posts and Comments
- At Show Word Verification, choose No
- And if you want to set Comment Moderation, it's right upper the word verification.
3. Trim down the number of posts on each page
It helps your blog to load faster. Plus, it keeps readers from scrolling, scrolling and scrolling. And especially when readers read your blog on mobile devices, their fingers get tired from scrolling.
For Blogger, it is normally set 7 posts at default. To adjust the number of posts, you go exactly to the same section as in word verification, the option is right at the beginning of the page. I set 3 posts per main pages. If you feel like your posts are usually too long, it's OK to set 2 posts.
4. Clean up the clutters
Of course it totally depends on your own taste to bring bling-blingsto your blog. It actually adds personality to your own blog. But too much is too much! Try to organize the site map and make it as de-cluttered as possible. If you selling advertisement spots, limit to a certain number (10 would be perfect in my opinions). It makes your blog look cleaner, and also advertisers wouldn't feel so packed with a long lists of other sponsors.
5. Don't make a color and font party in your blog
Try to avoid extreme color combination. If you want to add some bold color, blend/balance with some other neutral color. Also choose easy-to-read fonts and limit from 2 to 3 fonts for your blog.
6. Open link in a new window
If you link to something from your blog, it's better to let it appear in a new tab/window so readers don't get lost when they want to go back reading your blog. This is just a tiny thing but sometimes you may forget!
Is there any thing that you guys would like to add? What are your experiences as blog readers?